Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving Recap

Well, I have fallen behind. Again. But, I am sort of getting used to it! It seems everything takes a bit longer with help from little hands. Funny enough, I am okay with it. In fact, I am enjoying it!

Thanksgiving dinner was wonderful. The stuffing worked well in the crock pot but both Jeff and I felt it needed ... something. He said he'd volunteer to taste test until I got it just right. He's helpful like that. Emi, who usually eats her weight and then some in stuffing, wouldn't touch it. But then, she didn't eat just about anything that was on the table. Odd, not our usual gal. But I made her an omelet and she ate most of that along with a muffin (she loves muffins!) and a banana. The bird turned out amazing, but it's a tried and true recipe, so that wasn't a surprise. What was a surprise is that I didn't make enough bird. I had bought extra legs and thighs for a certain husband who loves his dark meat, and then completely forgot! So, we picked up another package and I am going to make it again tonight. Not a whole bird, just pieces. But then we can have more Thanksgiving Dinner leftovers. Jeff's favorite meal, leftovers. Not just Thanksgiving, ANY leftovers. Oh, and yes, the photos are a bit odd. I will never be a food photographer, but at least it was all tasty!

The Chex Mix in the crockpot turned out SO well, I had to make another batch Saturday afternoon. Both Jeff and Emi loved it! I like it well enough, but it's a big fav of Jeff's. And now Emi's too. Seriously, I will never make Chex Mix again in the oven, this was too easy! I did kick it up a notch, doubling all spices and using 6 tablespoons of Worcester Sauce. I thought that was too much, but Jeff said it was perfect.

We spent the rest of the weekend unpacking (yes, sigh, still) and finding all the Christmas boxes. We set up the little tree in Emi's room, and she loves it! Jeff is getting the tree set up so that we can decorate tonight or tomorrow, depending on how much help he gets from the little miss. From the sounds of it, I have a feeling he's getting much more than he'd like (smile).

What we mainly did this weekend was just hang out together. It was a nice, quiet, weekend. Perfect for us. We looked back on our year, and we have so much to be thankful for. First, our little girl is home with us. Finally. She completed our family, and wrapped us around her little finger. We adore her, and we think that she is a very happy healthy, well-adjusted child. Her ready laugh and sparkling eyes tell so much. I can't wait to share this holiday season with her. Last year she was so tiny, and everything was so new and I am sure, overwhelming for her. This year I have a feeling she is going to enjoy it so much more. She is already entranced with her little tree, wait 'til the big one is up and ready! We reflected on Drew and his life, our family scattered all over the country and our friends equally scattered. We are also looking forward, to where our lives are heading and what we are expecting the next year to bring.

Last, but not least, I did quite a bit of Christmas shopping. And not one step in the mall! Whooohooo! Emi's big gift from Jeff & I and the grandparents is her kitchen. Santa is going to bring all the goodies that go along with that (food, pots & pans, dishes, etc). I hope he is able to also score (on ebay of course!) a baby high chair for Mei Mei and a shopping cart. We shall see how much of that he is able to fit in his sleigh! I also worked on the grandparents gifts this past week but I can't share what that is, as they read the blog. But after Christmas I will share, as it rocks! (If I remember.) And finally, I got Jeff's gift from Emi. My current plan is to wrap as things arrive.

And with that, another Thanksgiving weekend is over. Wow, it went fast but then the holidays usually do. Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend.

3 comments:

Louanne said...

Oh man, she is going to go crazy for that kitchen!!!

"J" said...

I think your food pics look good!

Was that squash on your plate?!?!?

Gina (Caleeo) said...

The kitchen rocks!!! Wrap as things arrive - wow - that is such an amazing idea. I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around it. Must think about it some more. :)