Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Mom's Apple Muffins/Thanksgiving 2007

This past Friday morning I checked out Magi's blog (rarely a day goes by that I don't check in there - I don't comment much these days with time FLYING by, but I still my daily hits of both Sera and of Luanne's Nadia).

Where was I before I got lost in kissable cheeks and little girls who steal my heart? Oh yes, last Friday. So I stopped by Magi's and she had again posted on Overwhelmed with Joy's Favorite Ingredients Friday. This past Friday happened to be the Muffin Edition. Ohhhh, muffins! I love muffins, and used to make them more than I have lately. But, with Thanksgiving coming closer there is one muffin recipe I knew I'd be making. Rarely a 'big' holiday goes by without my making these. I am not sure when my mom started making these, but they are a big 'memory trigger' for me for the holidays. It's a little thing that says to me, family. It is a rare thing for Jeff and I to be with either of our families for the holidays, as we have lived far away from both going on seven years for Jeff's family and nineteen years for mine. Although, there are years that we did get to each of our families for one or more of the holidays, this year won't be one of them so I am going to try and make family favorites for both of us, to bring our families a bit closer this holiday season.

So, I was going to attempt to add my muffin recipe to Overwhelmed with Joy's blog, but Mr. Linky just got the better of me. By the time I figured out I needed help, Little Bit was awake. So I never got a chance to get back to figuring out Mr. Linky (and btw, it wasn't just me ... I asked Jeff to look over my shoulder to see if I was doing something wrong, he said it looked like a step was missing ... if I try this again I will have to get some help!).

So, here is the recipe I 'was' going to post. Enjoy, these are amazingly fantastic!

Mom’s Apple Muffins

Mix in a large bowl:
1½ cups brown sugar
2/3 cups oil (I use canola)
1 egg

In a two-cup measuring cup:
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon each: baking soda, salt, vanilla

Add milk mixture to sugar mixture alternating with 2½ cups of flour.

Fold in 1.5 cups diced apples and ½ cup chopped pecans (optional).

Sprinkle with 1/3 cup sugar mixed with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Will be crumbly - sprinkle over each cup with fingers.
(Kiy's Note: I don't do this every time, neither does Mom but it's SO good with this step!)

Note: Don’t fill cups too much, just a bit more than ½ full.

Bake @ 325° for 30 minutes.

Makes about 15 muffins

~~~~~~~~~~~
Our Thanksgiving Menu:

Gail’s PSYCHO CHICKEN
Cranberry-Orange Sauce
Homemade Gravy
Mom's Apple Muffins
Boxed Cornbread Stuffing (yep, here is where I cheat!)
yams/sweet potatoes
mashed potatoes (more for 'Little Bit' than for us, usually I don't do this for just the two of us)
Impossibly Easy French Apple Pie
~~~~~~~~~~~

P.S. If you only read one post today, do NOT miss today's Blogs are Stupid! Although, Antique Mommy's 'The Sweater' post was pretty darn great too. :)

3 comments:

Magi said...

These muffins look great. I'm sorry I didn't see them earlier. I tried a new apple cake recipe last night that has potential, but was a little dry. These would have been better. I'm so behind on blog reading between the food poisoning, Jim's wisdom teeth and Thanksgiving.

To do the Mr. Linky, type your name and the name of the recipe in the top box. In the bottom box, paste the web address for the post that has the recipe. If you still have problems, email me. I'll do a screen capture and send it to you.

Kiy said...

You rock woman, thanks! I will try it again ... someday. :)

Kiy said...

P.S. Ouch, I don't think I realized what you had was food poisoning. I had it once ... not fun at ALL! Hope you guys are doing better. :)