Friday, February 19, 2010

DC Trip

A few folks already know this, but Jeff and I met when we were both living in the DC area. We spent the first eight years of married life living in Northern Virginia. Before that, I lived in and around DC for almost five years. Needless to say, I still consider DC home. I loved living there, it was fun and I loved being just a subway ride away from the excitement of DC. But, other avenues opened for Jeff and I, so off we went.

Emi and I are once again planning an adventure. This time we are heading up to DC for a few days of fun. I am so happy to be once again living close-ish to DC. We are about an eight hour drive, so it's not too bad. I have been looking forward to sharing DC with Emi and now's the time (at least, for a first visit). Yes, I'd love to wait until later in the spring or even next fall when the weather is a tad more predictable (hello? snow ... be gone with you!) but you see, the Terra Cotta Warriors leave to return home at the end of March. I *so* want to see them, and while she may not remember, I want Emi to see them too. So, an adventure is planned. (TCW tour info here.)

Someday we dearly hope to return to China, to share with Emi the wonders of her birthplace. We'd love to tack on a trip to Xi'an but, what if? (Xi'an is where the TCW are located.) So while this won't be as wonderous as seeing them actually in place, this is the next best thing. We are this close, it would truly be a shame to miss them.What I have (tentatively) planned for these two days:
Emi is still napping (please let that last until she starts ... college!), so we would probably head back to our hotel for lunch/nap times and then venture back out. However, I am going to pretty much wing-it this trip. I've learned from past trips, just take it as it comes and don't plan for too much. That said, the ONLY thing on the must-do agenda is visiting the TCW. Anything else, gravy.

The reason I am posting this now, instead of just before or just after as I usually do is this: anyone in the area want to get together? I am still firming up dates, but I am 95% certain we will be in DC: March 9th and 10th (driving on either side). Yes, a short trip. I can (and will) add a day if there are folks out there that want to meet up and can't until 11th but I am a middle of the week travel gal - not traveling/sight-seeing on weekends means less crowds and much more accessible and fun for Emi.

So, if you are interested leave me a comment (make sure I can get to your email from there) or email me directly at: kiy (at) inbox (dot) com.

Photos found at: http://tinyurl.com/ye3s8zd



4 comments:

Mommy, I'm Home said...

Oh, I love the DC area too! Too bad I don't live anywhere near there anymore...:(

Aunt LoLo said...

Oh, have fun!!!! We're not going to be able to make it up. :-(

Lo Gung and I got to go to Xi'An when I was pregnant with BBJ. It was an AWESOME trip - that area is GORGEOUS.

~3 Sides of Crazy~ said...

Would love to, but as always timing just doesn't work! Have a great trip though!

Louanne said...

I love DC. ISO and KP are there, you should try to meet up.