So, in order to make all that time cooped up in a car seat doable, we needed to come up with a plan. I was chatting with the gal from Why Do We Even Have That Lever? (bonus points to those that know the movie she is referencing ... love that movie!). She is planning a trip across Canada with her two little ones (twenty months and four years), and we were discussing what to do with our kids to keep them happy (and quiet). We each decided to post about what we thought about, and get more idea from our readers. So, dear readers, please feel free to chime in! (BTW, here is a link to her post, there are some great ideas there!)
At the time of departure, Emi will be 31 months. A very rambunctious, never sit still, 31 months. Oh my. That said, she LOVES to watch movies/dvr'd tv (which is the only tv she watches as I am terribly fussy). We have the portable dvd player than my mom gave to Emi way back when (thanks mom, it's been a life saver!) and quite a few movies, tv episodes on dvd's, etc.
My plan is taking along the following:
- Movies/TV on DvD's (see below)
- Sticker/Activity Books (*)
- Colorforms Travel Books (*)
- Lacing Beads (in a baggie)
- Crayons and blank paper books (Emi is more into her own thing, regular coloring books just sit unused - these may only be used if one of us is sitting in back with her, something that we have planned each day towards the end of the day - when she's had it with riding in the car)
- A selection of Little People in a baggie (her fav group -horses, a couple of people, a dog, etc- that she uses to play Cinderella)
- A couple of stuffed animals (Most likely: Bear and MeiMei, as they are her fav's right now. However, we are bringing ALL of Emi's bedtime friends - packed in the trunk. We are going to suggest to her each morning to pick out one or two, ideally, to ride with in the car. This is something that always happens when we leave the house - we ask "who's going with?" Emi then chooses one animal or doll to go to Target, the grocery store, whatever.)
- Travel Snack tray (to make playing much easier)
- It is my plan (if I have time) to get some books on CD from the library (or downloads if I am really lucky) and add them to my Fuze (sorta like an iPod, without the Apple attitude). Emi is just barely getting the concept of listening without seeing a movie playing. Hence why it's not high on my list, also, it's a headphones only activity and we just don't do a lot of headphones for her.)
- A new special 'trip' stuffed animal - a unicorn that will meet her for the first time, sitting in her car seat on the first day of the drive
Movies/TV: The list includes (but not limited to):
- Cinderella I and II (her most fav's right now - she uses her Little People to play the Bippity-Boppity-Boo part over and over and over ... so darned cute!
- (BTW, the III was too scary for her, it's been set aside)
- Tinker Bell, Robin Hood, Charlotte's Web (the original version), and The Rescuers (a personal fav)
- Sesame Street (old time, not the new Elmo infested episodes)
- Curious George, Frankin, Little Bear
- Word World, Brainy Baby, Baby Genius and Leap Frog
- Dragon Tales, Maisy and Kai-Lan (we are also thinking of picking up the new one, wrapping it and using it as needed for desperate times)
- Kipper; Pocoyo and Oswald
- Tigger and Pooh (and the original Adventures of Pooh)
- Little Einsteins, etc etc etc
I really wanted to have a very good selection of stuff, mainly as Jeff and I will be listening to a lot of these. We are not big fans of putting head phones on Emi (now and again is fine, all the time is not). With my hearing issues, we are probably a bit more weirded out about head phones than most.
*BTW, I linked to our most fav's but there as so many of each to choose from.
*Note: In addition to the new Kai-lan dvd, some of the things from the above list (colorforms, books, etc) are going to be wrapped and handed out as needed. I also have a couple of Little People tubes that she hasn't seen yet, to add to the wrapped stuff. We have a trip (flying) planned to Canada for a very special wedding at the end of October. Anything we don't need from this list, we most likely will take with us for the plane.