Tuesday, July 14, 2009

My poor little neglected blog

It's so neglected. I've missed blogging, and I haven't. Odd, I thought I would. It became one of the many things I needed to do each day (or every couple of days). It became in my mind the dishes, laundry, vacuuming, etc. I don't want my blog to become just another chore, but I don't want to close it down either.

My current plan is to return to blogging ... just post less. Probably just a few times a month. I really want this to stand for Emi's temp baby book. I really do want to do a 'real' book someday, and this is a place for me to jot her life down so I don't forget anything. Both big and small. I am not going to try to back track and catch up right away. I do have things that I want to blog about, nothing earth shattering, but for now I am just going to move forward.

There is still that behind-the-scenes-thing-that-I-can't-blog-about going on. Sigh. One would think I could. Sorry, but soon. Heck, it better be soon or I am jumping off the first available bridge!

So, what have we been doing the last few months? Not a lot. Heh. It's summer, it's hot. But then there are days that it's not hot. Emi and I hang out in the backyard, playing with her water table and sandbox. We are no longer going to speech therapy. The insurance folks and the billing folks couldn't, for the longest time, get the speech folks paid. So, we put ST on hold until they could. Once they did, we were out of the habit, and Emi and I seemed to be doing pretty well on our own. Also, it always drove me nuts how they did it. They just wanted sounds from her (p-p-p-pig). So, guess how she says pig now? Yeah. Up? Up-pah. Cute now, not so cute when she's four. So I've been working with her. We also have a couple of shows/dvds that are helping. A few: Word World and Leap Frog's Letter Factory (I am sure that over time we will get more in both series). Yeah, aimed at bigger kids and letters not necessarily words, but she loves them and they are helping with words.

So, you might ask (the few that may actually still check in here from time to time), what words does Emi have? Still not Mama (cry, sob, sniffle). Oh, she will mimic (if she feels like it) Jeff when he says "say Mama". But that's about it.

Words she does have:
  • Dada (first word, from about 11-ish months old ... no, I'm not BITTER or anything!)
  • up (yeah, up-pah, but still)
  • uh-uh and ah-ha (along with nodding yes and shaking head no, which the speech therapist told us is actually something that is an older child thing ... like 3 to 3.5, go figure)
  • Any and all animal sounds ... not their names, their sounds (she's *really really* into animals)
  • beep (as in the Wheels on the Bus song ... you can thank me later for getting that song into your head for the rest of the day)
  • dog
  • pig
  • Max (yeah, the dog's name ... but not Mama ... still not BITTER!)
  • baby (pointing at herself)
  • me (yet again, pointing at herself ... usually means she wants something, or to go do/go with)
  • help (sometimes help me)
  • Baba (for Barbara, still ... yeah, we are going to ignore that she isn't saying Mama yet .... )
  • DAH! (Always with an exclamation point, and pointing at what she wants ... DAH! as in That)
I know there's a few more, but I can't remember them. Will have to add them as I think of them. The only good news is, she's still not saying no (smile). That, I am sure, will come all too soon. She does have a lot of sounds, and is usually more than willing to mimic a word/give it a try. But she's still not using the newer words to ask for what she wants. The problem is, unless we know the context, even if she does use words we can't figure them out. Many of her words have a da or ba sound to them.

Interestingly, her signing has come back. She now signs 'milk please' and is just thrilled to be able to tell us what she wants. I am going to get a couple more signing dvds so that I can learn them along with her. Now that she's (finally) showing interest, it may help bridge the gap until she has more words.

And that, is our life. Jeff is busy with work. We are working on the house. Emi and I are back to going to the Farmer's Market on most Friday's. She enjoys going, and we enjoy all the local produce. Max is still hanging in there. Emi is still too rough for him, tough love and all, but he just keeps coming back for more. I really want to get some photos of the two of them together but right now, she just can't keep her hands off him ... and we don't want him to get hurt. We are really surprised how much he's taken from her. She did get snapped at once, and we think possibly he caught her with a tooth on her arm. But she deserved it, and there was no mark. But boy was she ticked and upset. Not that it kept her from going back for more. But we are working on "gentle" and if Max is in one of his (many) beds, he is off limits. Yeah, still working on that concept too.

For the two or three that have made it this far ... here is some Emi-love in the form of pictures. At the end of May we attended the Asian Pacific American Heritage Month Celebration at Jeff's office. Before Emi and I went in, I snapped some quick photos.






Where did our baby go? Wow.

10 comments:

Why Do We Even Have That Lever? said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love that movie and that phrase had been stuck in my head for a while when I decided to make a blog on blogger, and I thought, well, heck, that describes my life so much of the time... why DO we have that lever??

My little guy is 19 months and is a talker... but he doesn't say mama either! Every day when I pick him up from his Aunts he runs to the door and shouts DADDY! The closest I've ever gotten to being called mommy is on last Sunday when we got to his Grandparents to pick him up his daddy had him and went to pass him off to me so he could hug our daughter and Zach said "No mommy" and clung to his dad. Sigh.

I feel your pain. :-)

Emi doesn't look that old, so I'm sure many more words will come in the future. My daughter went from one word ideas said out loud to 10 word sentances. No in between.

Good luck!

~3 Sides of Crazy~ said...

Hang in there - this is such a precious age! and also a tiring age for 'mama'. I love that 2nd picture in particular! She's getting so big.

Magi said...

Oh my gosh, Emi is getting so big. Sera started by saying up-ah, too. She eventually started saying up, but has now reverted back to up-pah. What can I say?

I'm glad to hear things are going well for you. Enjoy the rest of your summer!

Gina (Caleeo) said...

Hi hon - glad to see you here again. Love the photos - wow she has gotten big! Such a cutie!

Cristina said...

Hi Kiy!!! So good to see you again, and don't worry, thre are far slacker bloggers than you :) So glad to hear that all is well, and so very pleased for you that Emi doesn't say no yet. Alice's favourite response when I ask her to do something is 'I NOT!!' Mmmm, when do the terrible two's end???? Hugs and blessings to you all, xxx

Debbie and Sam said...

Welcome back! I am glad she is talking more. Elizabeth has the same dress! I love ladybug things!
She is such a cuties

Barbara said...

SOOOOOO cute! Give it time Kiy, she'll say Mama :) miss you guys!

a Tonggu Momma said...

Welcome back, Kiy! We love reading whenever you post, no matter how long the breaks are. :)

And we have the Letter Factory DVD, too. We liked it a lot... we also used the Brainy Baby English DVD, which the Tongginator loved at Emi's age.

Carla said...

Oh she is just growing up too quickly...*sniff*

{HUG} on the Momma thing, none of my kids said it first. It was always Dada or Baba first, then eventually Mama.

marissa said...

she is so cute!