My current plan is to return to blogging ... just post less. Probably just a few times a month. I really want this to stand for Emi's temp baby book. I really do want to do a 'real' book someday, and this is a place for me to jot her life down so I don't forget anything. Both big and small. I am not going to try to back track and catch up right away. I do have things that I want to blog about, nothing earth shattering, but for now I am just going to move forward.
There is still that behind-the-scenes-thing-that-I-can't-blog-about going on. Sigh. One would think I could. Sorry, but soon. Heck, it better be soon or I am jumping off the first available bridge!
So, what have we been doing the last few months? Not a lot. Heh. It's summer, it's hot. But then there are days that it's not hot. Emi and I hang out in the backyard, playing with her water table and sandbox. We are no longer going to speech therapy. The insurance folks and the billing folks couldn't, for the longest time, get the speech folks paid. So, we put ST on hold until they could. Once they did, we were out of the habit, and Emi and I seemed to be doing pretty well on our own. Also, it always drove me nuts how they did it. They just wanted sounds from her (p-p-p-pig). So, guess how she says pig now? Yeah. Up? Up-pah. Cute now, not so cute when she's four. So I've been working with her. We also have a couple of shows/dvds that are helping. A few: Word World and Leap Frog's Letter Factory (I am sure that over time we will get more in both series). Yeah, aimed at bigger kids and letters not necessarily words, but she loves them and they are helping with words.
So, you might ask (the few that may actually still check in here from time to time), what words does Emi have? Still not Mama (cry, sob, sniffle). Oh, she will mimic (if she feels like it) Jeff when he says "say Mama". But that's about it.
Words she does have:
- Dada (first word, from about 11-ish months old ... no, I'm not BITTER or anything!)
- up (yeah, up-pah, but still)
- uh-uh and ah-ha (along with nodding yes and shaking head no, which the speech therapist told us is actually something that is an older child thing ... like 3 to 3.5, go figure)
- Any and all animal sounds ... not their names, their sounds (she's *really really* into animals)
- beep (as in the Wheels on the Bus song ... you can thank me later for getting that song into your head for the rest of the day)
- Max (yeah, the dog's name ... but not Mama ... still not BITTER!)
- baby (pointing at herself)
- me (yet again, pointing at herself ... usually means she wants something, or to go do/go with)
- help (sometimes help me)
- Baba (for Barbara, still ... yeah, we are going to ignore that she isn't saying Mama yet .... )
- DAH! (Always with an exclamation point, and pointing at what she wants ... DAH! as in That)
Interestingly, her signing has come back. She now signs 'milk please' and is just thrilled to be able to tell us what she wants. I am going to get a couple more signing dvds so that I can learn them along with her. Now that she's (finally) showing interest, it may help bridge the gap until she has more words.
And that, is our life. Jeff is busy with work. We are working on the house. Emi and I are back to going to the Farmer's Market on most Friday's. She enjoys going, and we enjoy all the local produce. Max is still hanging in there. Emi is still too rough for him, tough love and all, but he just keeps coming back for more. I really want to get some photos of the two of them together but right now, she just can't keep her hands off him ... and we don't want him to get hurt. We are really surprised how much he's taken from her. She did get snapped at once, and we think possibly he caught her with a tooth on her arm. But she deserved it, and there was no mark. But boy was she ticked and upset. Not that it kept her from going back for more. But we are working on "gentle" and if Max is in one of his (many) beds, he is off limits. Yeah, still working on that concept too.
For the two or three that have made it this far ... here is some Emi-love in the form of pictures. At the end of May we attended the Asian Pacific American Heritage Month Celebration at Jeff's office. Before Emi and I went in, I snapped some quick photos.