Sunday, May 17, 2009

Train Trip to Minneapolis

My blog still isn't perfect (my fonts are still a bit wonky and I still can't figure out what is up with the blue links - I've never had blue links!). But many thanks to Lythrum who gave us ideas, which lead Jeff to fixing my biggest issues. Thank you SO much!

But, before I forget all the details from our trip I wanted to get it here. Since I have yet to start Miss M's baby book, this blog has to stand for it. (Oh, I've had a few comments - not on the blog, but in real life about Miss M. We do call her that, a LOT. Many think it's short for Emi {Em}. Nope, not at all! It's actually short for Mischief and Mayhem. Which sums up Emi perfectly!)

~~

So, about the trip. We began our trip on May 2nd and were thrilled that the train was on time(9pm)! Jeff was able, once again, to board the train long enough to help us with luggage and get us settled then off he jumped to wave goodbye. As last time, the first half of the night was a bit rough on Emi until finally her little body gave in and she really fell asleep. Those beds are C.O.Z.Y. (we did indeed pop for the sleeper car for this trip) and Emi tends to take her half out of my side (smile) so finally I put her at one end with me at the other. We both ended up getting a pretty decent night's sleep after that.

The next day found us hiking (six long cars and the in between areas that are a bit harry with Emi!) down for breakfast and dinner to the dining car. I opted to eat lunch out of our stash as Emi was fading fast and was in need of her nap. We spent the afternoon playing with toys, watching dvd's and watching for animals out the window. Emi was unimpressed once again with the observation car, so we spent most of our time in our room but since our room had POWER life was good, those dvd's ran almost non-stop. Little Miss Cuteness completely zonked out.



Playing ~~~~ Posing next to the "closet" (yes, it really is as small as it looks -
the width of ONE shoe!)



Watching her dvd


Watching yet another dvd (notice the clothing change? we had the misfortune of
having the very last car
on the train, the jerking and swaying were finally too
much for Miss Emi and she threw up, all over herself ...
and me. But as you can see,
she bounced back in no time. We did watch food intake carefully after that!)


After dinner, we tidied up all the toys, changed into jammies and laid out clothes for the morning. One last bathroom break and brushed teeth and we were tucked into our bed pretty early. The time zone change and just all the excitement had Emi more than ready and I have to admit not reading too long after she fell asleep! Our train was supposed to arrive in Minneapolis at 530 am (ouch!) so I set my phone alarm for 430, needless to say we were an hour late! (Had I overslept I know we would have been early, although they make sure you are awake and ready to get off!)

Barbara was there, ready to meet us. It was so wonderful to get off that train and know she'd be there. Emi went right to her, chattering in Emi-speak, raring to go. We gathered up our checked suitcase, loaded us into Barbara's car and off we went.

Come back soon for the rest of the story!

7 comments:

~3 Sides of Crazy~ said...

I'm so glad you guys had a great time and am so sorry I missed it! Timing or lack of it.

Debbie and Sam said...

We are going on our first train ride this weekend. I hope Elizabeth does as well as Emi

Gina (Caleeo) said...

Sound wonderful! And Emi is just adorable - such a cutie!

Louanne said...

Ohhhh I can't wait to hear the rest of the story! The train sounds fun.

Tracy said...

I always loved train rides when I was little. Sounds fun. And you came to MY town!

marissa said...

riding on trains were some of my favorite parts of growing up. As a kid they are just so cool

Revka said...

Hey, Kiy, let me know if you want me to fix the link color for you. It's really strange that this just happened all of a sudden.