Thursday, April 30, 2009

Another Train Trip

Since Little Bit is busy rediscovering Diego (seems we have been on a kick this past week, it's either Diego or the Ultimate Pandas dvd's - only - and woe is the person who suggests something else). Where was I? Oh yes, 15 seconds of peace .... I thought I'd take those 15 seconds and chat real quick about our trip.

Some folks will remember our train trip last October. The one that was ALL about mama and grandma. This one, however, is all about EMI!

Emi and I leave Saturday night (9pm, ouch 1.5 hours after bedtime) for one day and two nights on the train. Thankfully this time, we decided to splurge and get a sleeper car. Since the trip itself is going to be short, getting a decent night's sleep on the train was mandatory. We are arriving in Minneapolis on Monday morning, and meeting up with Barbara at that point (I am so excited to finally be meeting such a great friend). We are going to hit the Mall of America, focusing on Emi things to do. Mainly the Lego area and the aquarium. We may or may not check out the amusement area, depending on time and Emi's temperment (she's so two right now, love her but ouch the temper!). I've learned, for the most part, how to stem the tide of tears, screams and throwing herself on the floor while all this goes on. Mainly, don't go near something she can't do ... however, that's not always possible. So, thankfully with another set of hands we will be able to have as few tears as possible! There does look to be some things we can do with her in that area, but at this age I can't see her riding even the little tiny kid rides alone. One never knows, of course, but we've never tried it. (Emi is only Danger Girl when SHE wants to be Danger Girl!) We are just going to go with the flow and see what happens.

We are also planning on the Minnesota Zoo. This looks like it will be the shining star of the trip. There is so much to see and do, I am thinking we will be there more than once on this very short trip. I can't wait to try out the monorail and wander all over the zoo. Emi is ALL about animals right now. We are still struggling with speech, but if we can relate what we want her to say with an animal she is more apt to attempt the word! I do think that this part of the trip will be wonderful!

Barbara will be with us a day and a half. My mom decided to not join us on this trip. I ended up having to make it a week early because of train ticket pricing, she will only have been home two days before needing to climb back into the car to meet us (she's been in Florida for the last month, mainly celebrating NOT being in Michigan with the cold, the snow and the ick).

We arrive on Monday morning and turn around and climb back onto the train late (LATE: 11pm!) Wednesday night. That is basically three days. Since I only have two things planned (plus pool time), we should be able to have a nice relaxing time. Keep your fingers crossed for me. The last couple of Mama/Emi adventures haven't gone that smoothly, but each trip I learn something and I am feeling pretty confident about this trip (famous last words!).

We return home at the crack of dawn Friday, hopefully Emi will let me laze on the sofa for a bit that morning (yeah, talk about dreaming!). I hope to come home with lots of wonderful memories, and just as many pictures.

So, signing off for now (need to get us packed, laundry done and a minimal house tidying!). Have a great week everyone!



P.S. The Happy Housewife is again hosting the "What's in your book basket" this week. Needless to say I am not going to get a post up. But make sure to hop on over as I am sure lots of great books will be chatted about!

6 comments:

Barbara said...

I can't wait! Do you have a portable DVD player?

Louanne said...

Have fun!! It sounds like a blast.

Controlling My Chaos said...

It sounds like you are going to have a fantastic trip. Also, it looks like you don't live as close the the Mall of America as I thought.

Carla said...

Oh it sounds like so much fun!!!

The Happy Housewife said...

Hope you have a fun trip! Thanks for linking to the Book Basket, I hope you can link up another time!
Toni

Sue said...

Wow, what a fun trip, have a GREAT time and shop till you (or Emi) drop!