Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Spread the Word to End the Word


What I can't believe is that the word is still being used today. When I was in grade school (yes, the dark ages) I remember there being a movement to end this. It's still being used? Let's stamp it out, for once and for all.

Click above to sign the petition - Here's what it says:

I pledge and support the elimination of the derogatory use of the r-word from everyday speech and promote the acceptance and inclusion of people with intellectual disabilities.

But don't stop there. If you hear it, say something! Don't just ignore it, don't just walk away shaking your head.

Here is more from the web site:

Most people don't think of this word as hate speech, but that's exactly what it feels like to millions of people with intellectual disabilities, their families and friends. Using "retard" as a tern of derision is just as cruel and offensive as any other slur.

I have met the most amazing kids, in my early college days volunteering as both a swimming instructor and craft instructor to those with physical and mental disabilities and later, I got the amazing chance to with the kids at Special Olympics functions. I hope to have that opportunity again, and hope to share that experience with Emi.

I look at this in the same way as making any other derogatory comment about someone; any and all disabilities, race, sex, sexual orientation, ancestry, etc, etc, etc.

3 comments:

Debbie and Sam said...

Thank you for sharing the "R" word campaign. I work Special Olympics, volunteer as a swim coach and am the guardian to a gentleman with Down Syndrome. I am passionate about getting rid of this very derogatory word. I should have it on my blog too! I will put a link to this today!

Aunt LoLo said...

I have an uncle who is Severely Retarded, and has been for the past 40 years. (He caught spinal meningitis when he was 12, which caused swelling of the brain.) All the cousins learned two things very early on: 1) this is what Retarded looks like. A 50 year old man with severe seizures, an inability to care for himself and absolutely no capacity to carry on a meaningful conversation. 2) If we EVER used the word other than how it was intended to be used, we were in Serious Trouble, including and not limited to our Grandparents not forgiving us for at least 5 years.

Thank you for posting this!

Controlling My Chaos said...

I am happy to report that until I saw this blog button, I can't remember the last time I heard anyone use the r-word.