Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My Funny Valentine

Update: I forgot to add the photos! See below.


Kristin over at We are THAT Family is hosting a carnival this week. Not just any old carnival either, one that we get to show the entire world (or in my case, the five or six folks that regularly read my blog) how much we love them. Brag-On-Our-Hubby-Days, you might say.

I did a small, short prelude to that in my menu plan this week. I purposely kept that short as I didn't want to say it all there, I wanted it all HERE!

So, watch out gals, here it comes. And yes, he's all mine. Hands off. :)

Jeff is that quietly sweet, handsome guy that most gals would pass over in a crowded room (silly women). He is gentle and caring and sweet and compassionate and tender and shows me, every day, how much he loves me. I am lucky, as he also holds my hand out in public, brings/sends me flowers (sometimes for no reason!), tells me he loves me and shows me. He is a wonderful father to his son and a wonderful daddy to our daughter.

He does little things that mean so much like quietly unloading the dishwasher when I am in the other part of the house or finishing the laundry that's still in the dryer because Emi needed me and I forgot it was in there. Things that May seem so little, but mean so much. It means, he's paying attention. He knows I need something and looks to see what he can do to help.

I don't know what I did in my previous lives to deserve him, but I don't take any day for granted. Yep, I kissed a ton of toads on my way to this great man. He's mine, forever.

The story I want to share is one of a funny Valentine's Day. We've done the over-the-top romantic dinners, the quiet nights at home, the he-plans or she-plans. This was one of the he-plans. We were living in Japan at the time, he was going to stop on his way home and find something to toss on the grill. Anything, we weren't fussy (well, I had one rule ... it couldn't be moving, with Jeff it's good to point that out). We were just in need of a quiet night at home, the two of us. I was making sides, he was going to grill. I am not sure what was planned after (before that, gals!), but it probably included watching a chick flick of some kind or maybe some computer game time knowing us. This is what he came home with that evening:

No, your eyes aren't deceiving you. Yes, that really is a pork chop butterflied so that it opened in the shape of a heart. Only in Japan, folks, only in Japan. We still talk about that dinner, we laugh, we remember. Japan was a special place for the two of us. We loved living in Japan and really embraced it as much as we possibly could. And the little things, like the heart shaped pork chop, really made it for us. We loved all those funky little things that were so different from living in the States.

Someday I will blog about how we met, if he lets me. But this is a good memory and I wanted to share.

Sweetheart, I honestly do love you more today than the day we said I do!



December 2007


December 2008

10 comments:

Controlling My Chaos said...

That is so sweet, Kiy. You're a lucky girl.

Barbara said...

What a sweet tribute to him! You are very lucky to have found each other :)

We are THAT Family said...

What a touching tribute! thanks so much for sharing it with us! Happy Valentine's Day!

Lythrum said...

I remember that pork chop picture, I think you posted it on the BO boards. :) I'm glad you have your special guy, like I have mine. Check your e-mail. ;)

Natalie said...

that is the coolest pork chop ever! i love it!

Heather said...

What a neat story! I bet that living in Japan was fascinating. My hubby wants to visit there someday.

Gina (Caleeo) said...

Great story - thank you so much for sharing. I cherish each glimpse I get into your life!

~TAMY 3 Sides of Crazy~ said...

What a fantastic post KIY. You are going to laugh so hard when you read the Happy hearts day post I put up about a 1/2 hour ago!! It sounds like your hubby and mine are kindred souls so I know how lucky you are! I hope you 2 have a fantastic Valentines Day.

Louanne said...

That is so sweet. I love it.

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

I am a bit late in visiting via the SWAK carnival, but what a great story!