Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Hot Breakfast Challenge

I can't promise to chirp in every week, as I don't have that many hot breakfast recipes. But I am signing on as I want to collect more. I can't see us doing a hot breakfast every day as we really are cereal folks, but cutting down the cereal by even two or three days would help the budget. Not so sure about our waistlines, as we mainly eat non-sugar cereals. But, it's worth a try. Here is my contribution to this week.

BTW, we eat a lot of grits for dinner (breakfast for dinner!) but this is too fun not to do. And, while I didn't do the math, it sure doesn't get much cheaper than grits, except for maybe oats.

For more Hot Breakfasts, head on over to The Happy Housewife.


~~~~

Overnight Grits CrockPot Recipe

Courtesy of The CrockPot Lady


Day 134.

I am not from the south, which means I am not very familiar with grits. I did watch a southern cooking show on the Food Network that discussed grit cooking methods, and I love "My Cousin Vinny"---so I know that any self-respecting Southerner stays away from instant grits.

But that's pretty much where my knowledge ends.

So I turned to the experts: the blogosphere. I ran a google blog search for crockpot grits and found The Kitchen Madonna. She has a recipe for overnight crockpot grits.


And it's perfect.

The Ingredients:
1 cup grits
5 cups of water
1/4 cup butter
1/2 t kosher salt


The Directions:
I used my mom's 4qt round crockpot for this recipe. I haven't given it back since Easter. sorry, mom!

Combine all of the ingredients. I didn't spray the stoneware, or bother to melt the butter. I just threw it all in (butter floats!).

Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

This cooked for exactly 7.

Stir well and top with desired fixens'. The kids and I used a bit of shredded cheese the way that The Kitchen Madonna recommended. My mom likes to stir in preserves.


The Verdict: Wow. I like grits! They weren't slimy the way I imagined them to be, and the texture was really nice in my mouth. The big kid wasn't terribly impressed, but the little one ate almost a whole bowl. I loved how easy they were to prepare, and that they are naturally gluten-free.

I have quite a bit of the package left over, and grits are now going to make it into the regular breakfast rotation.


~~~~

8 comments:

Karen said...

If not for the texture, I would like grits too. One thing we do for hot breakfasts is make a huge batch of homemade pancakes or waffles on the weekends and then freeze them for use during the week. I just pull a couple out for The Midge and pop them in the microwave. Quick, easy and very budget friendly.

Sherry said...

I've only had grits a few time sin my life.I need to retry them and this recipe looks like one I could try. THanks for sharing!

Controlling My Chaos said...

Breakfast is one meal that I really don't enjoy cooking. Probably it's because I'm not a morning person. That and I don't like variety for breakfast. See reason above. I eat the same thing EVERY day.

Gina (Caleeo) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gina (Caleeo) said...

Okay - trying again now that I have it all figured out!

Have you tried the grit recipe? It sounds fabulous! (although, I would have to add some black pepper)

We do some "cheater" hot breakfasts: Olivia LOVES the Eggo Low-Fat Nutrigrain waffles and the whole grain oatmeal packets (I can't remember the name). Today it was scrambled eggs and toast.

Have you tried the steel cut oat? Man are they good, but take a while to cook.

Just another SAHM said...

I've never made grits...now that I think about it, I don't know that I've ever had real grits before either! I've made polenta many a time, so maybe it is time to give this one a try. Thanks for the recipe & review!

The Happy Housewife said...

I have never made grits! I know I have a few kids that like them, so I will be trying your recipe out this month! Thanks for participating!
Toni

Ranee said...

That looks pretty simple. I sometimes do oatmeal or rice pudding overnight that way.

We make grits with ham, scallions, jalapeno and cheddar. It is really tasty. Thank you for sharing!