First off, the Tiki Tiki pizza was a huge success. I doubled the recipe so we would have leftovers (isn't that the real reason everyone loves pizza?). We didn't expect Emi to eat it, but she ate most of it (except the chicken, she still isn't really a meat gal). Recipe link is below (Friday).
Also, I finally made the Spinach-Artichoke Cheesy Tortellini. Oh My Goodness! Jeff and I about fell into the pan lapping it up, it was so good. I tried to take a picture but it looked like a green and white blob of yuck. A food photographer, I will never be. But seriously, try this. It is much easier than the recipe reads, just take it step by step. Make sure you have all your ingredients out and lined up, chop-drain-etc everything in advance (by the way, I do this with all my recipes, I think it makes cooking much easier ... I also put away as I use). I can also see using this as just an appetizer without the tortellini, maybe spread on baguettes or something. Very very good! Oh, and I made some changes (big surprise there, I can't leave any recipe alone!). I did not use the butter in the first step, just the olive oil. Also, there was no way I was going to use heavy cream. I used half-and-half, fat free! Lastly, I used only about a half a cup of the cheese, and forgot to put more on the table to sprinkle on, we didn't miss it at all. I didn't tell Jeff until after dinner and he said leave it that way, it rocked just the way I made it.
Emi has been a bit under the weather the last few days. Nothing major that we can tell, just runny diapers and her appetite is off a bit (except for fruit, which we have been trying to limit - not easy with Emi!). She is still her happy busy self, but every now and again will stop what she is doing, cry a bit, and need a hug or cuddle. It looks like there could be a molar working it's way up and in, and that could be all it is but it's always a bit worrisome when Little Bit is off.
So with that in mind, I am making dinners early in the week that are quick and easy. This week is family fav's week at I'm an Organizing Junkie. Every meal I have planned is one we've had before (and love). We do have some additional fav's that completely rock:
- Sunday: *What I Didn’t Get to Last Week
- No matter how much I plan or promise myself I won’t laze out and just say, “scrounge night”, it happens. At least once a week. So, I end up with a menu and (usually) ingredients for one meal (sadly, sometimes more than one). So here is my plan to not waste anything and to use up that meal.
- This week it was nothing, I made everything I had planned. However, tonight we are going to just do a ‘whatever’ night as Emi is a bit under the weather. Jeff is running to the grocery store for some basics, and with luck I will be cooking the rest of the week.
- Monday: Jules’ Homemade Tomato Soup, grilled ham & cheese sandwiches, fresh fruit salad
- Tuesday: Taco Salad (one ‘pot’ meal)
- What we like in ours (I put all the stuff on the counter and we sorta buffet-it): ground beef or turkey with taco seasoning, taco chips of some kind, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, canned corn (rinsed and chilled), pineapple (I know it’s odd, but it really works!), sliced olives (for Jeff & Emi), shredded cheese and salsa (both mild and whatever Jeff is eating at the moment, varies from medium to oh-my-gosh my stomach walls have burned away).
- Wednesday: Mexican Lasagna, sliced nectarines and peaches
- Thursday: Leftover Buffet
- Friday: Homemade Pizza Nite: Tiki Tiki Pizza and a green salad (probably the Spinach and Mandarin Orange Salad)
- This is by request (Jeff). Yes, much to my delight, it really was that good!
- Saturday: Free Nite
- We tend to need a night of not making dinner for various reasons. I am factoring this in my menu plan each week, but it won’t necessarily always (or often) be on a Saturday.