Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Six Months

Our first photos of Emi, received September 4, 2007 (taken, estimated late May 2007)


It doesn't seem at all possible, but six months ago today a tiny little pink bundle was laid in our arms. She was (and pretty much still is) so tiny. I kept looking at her little sleeping face in total awe. Such a beautiful, tiny, perfect little being. Right then and there, I fell in love. In so a deep love I honestly had no idea such a love could exist. I made all kinds of promises to her, in the space of about 10 seconds. That is a day, and a moment, I will never forget.

October 29, 2007 ~ First moment they laid her in our arms.

There have been many firsts throughout these six months, mainly, mobility. Miss Emi could sit up when we received her, but that's it. If she toppled over, she was stuck - much like a turtle. And, she wasn't impressed. And, she was sure to share that displeasure with us, toot-sweet! A very short six months later she is walking, ha! running, all over the house. Investigating everything she can get her hands on, and much she can't. If she can't reach it, she will find a way to build boxes, toys, whatever she can to get to what she wants. (->> Perfect example of how we had to build pillows around her so that when she tipped over backwards, she had a soft place to land.)

She is still not talking, although she chatters constantly. Everything and everyone is 'da'. Depending on the emphasis, pointing and grunting it can mean many things. It especially means daddy first thing in the morning, when she wakes to find one of her loyal minions has escaped the bedroom without first checking in with her. She will stand at the foot of her co-sleeper (yep, she's still in our room), shout out "DA" and stretch both hands towards the door. Too darned cute for words. She has other syllables, and she is stringing them together. She thinks she is saying stuff, so we need to listen intently and try to guess what it is she wants. We've been working on some signs with her and just this past Friday, one showed up! More ... as in, more peas. I was so astounded I almost missed it. I have been trying to get a picture of it, but no luck so far. I need to get the dvd's that I had earlier and re-watch them with her. She's ready, boy is she!

Emi is extremely independent, but still needs and wants mama ready
at her every command. She is very bonded and attached to both Jeff and I, something we are so very grateful for.

Everyday with Miss Emi is an adventure, and we never know what to expect. Our days are full
and happy, our family now complete. All it took was a tiny little pink bundle ... all the way over in China.

Thank you, Emi, for being our daughter. I am finally a mama,
something I have wanted and waited for my whole life. Without you, I would never had realized that dream. You are a special little girl, and so very loved.


P.S. Jeff's nickname for Emi ... Mischief & Mayhem. Fitting, extremely fitting. By the way, she did indeed get out of the door. More like fell out of it, with four adults watching, go figure. We thought she had it. But, after kisses and hugs, she was back at it. Nothing stops this gal. I do wonder how many ER visits we are going to have with her. She must figure out how something works, and she MUST do it herself. At 14 months. Ouch, I feel more gray hairs sprouting!

6 comments:

Magi said...

She is so beautiful. Congratulations on your first six months. They're the best, aren't they?

Cath said...

Oh Kiy, your post made me cry!! I can't believe it's 6 months already! We have our 6 month appt next week.
Emi is gorgeous!
Hugs to you,
Cath

Louanne said...

Happy 6 months! It's amazing how fast the time goes huh? Gray hairs are good for you by the way.

Lythrum said...

I'll add my congratulations in with everyone else. You have a beautiful daughter. :)

polli said...

well things are really going well for you all glad you are both feeling better! time really flies when you have kids!! /hugs

Kiy said...

Thanks all. I still need to contact a social worker to do our 6-month, at least I have a name. Now to find it again! I have never been happier than I am right now. She really is the best. :)