Friday, December 7, 2007

Soup-Tacular (Tomato-and-White Bean Soup)

<< UPDATE 12/08/2007: See note below! >>

The ever wonderful, ever witty BooMama is hosting Soup-Tacular this week. I couldn't not do this as I have THE end all, be all soup recipe. AND, it's so easy your 5 year old could make it! AND (and yes, there's more!) I found it at Cooking Light. Of course, if you add a loaf of bread or a couple handfuls of crackers, the 'light' part of this recipe flies right out the window. Dress this up at your discretion. (Oh, and btw, if you don't already read BooMama head on over and catch up ... she brings a smile to my life, daily.)

P.S. BooMama this recipe is especially for you. My guy doesn't find soup hearty or 'meal-like' either. But, he requests this!

Tomato-and-White Bean Soup – Cooking Light, October 1997
Canned tomatoes and beans make this soup a snap to put together!

Ingredients

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 (14.5-ounce) cans no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
(I use the diced balsamic vinegar ones, when I can find, or the basil/oreg ones - or anything else that strikes my fancy that day and is in the cupboard - 12/08: I used 2 cans of diced basil/oreg tomatoes and one small can of Rotel ... to jaz it up a bit!)
2 (16-ounce) cans cannellini or other white beans, drained
(Great Northern Beans – usually, I just use 1 can, rinsed well)
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can fat-free chicken broth
(usually, I use 2 cans - 12/8: I ended up using an entire box of broth)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (um, right – how about some handy dried stuff!)
¾ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions
Estimated Total Time: 30 minutes

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes and next 5 ingredients (tomatoes through pepper), and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Ladle into bowls, and sprinkle with cheese.

That's it. Really! This is a very forgiving recipe. You have halve it (but, the leftovers rock!), double it, etc. We actually call this 'Dump Soup' as you just open cans and dump! This is my go-to meal when I am uninspired and with the ingredients as they are, these items are alway on my pantry shelves. Make this, you won't be sorry!

Kiy Notes:
**I also add a large can of mushrooms at the beginning, do not always do the onion and garlic step (skip for a time saver).
**I also add a can or two of zucchini (in tomato sauce), a small can of corn, a regular can of petite peas (12/08: I had a bag of frozen mixed veges in the freezer, I just tossed that in, and I tossed in a can of artichoke hearts in water, drained). Basically any canned vegetable that sounds good, but don’t add canned asparagus. When I tried them, they turned mushy very quickly and made the leftovers nasty!


As stated in the recipe:
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 cups soup and 1 tablespoon cheese)

NUTRITION PER SERVING: CALORIES 297(22% from fat); FAT 7.2g (sat 1.7g,mono 2.9g,poly 1.8g); PROTEIN 18.2g; CHOLESTEROL 4mg; CALCIUM 154mg; SODIUM 451mg; FIBER 5.7g; IRON 4.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 42g


<<UPDATE 12/08/2007: So after posting this it looked so good, I ended up making it last night. However, when I was I realized that I did a few other things differently that I didn't post. So, if you printed this recipe out or even just read it ... look it over again! :) >>



No comments: