Monday, October 22, 2007

Paula Deen

I'm not sure how it happened, but the ever wonderful, ever fun, ever mischievous Paula Deen showed up in China and was there when we adopted Emi. Last night, in my dream. It was SO vivid I woke up thinking we were already home. Freaky.

I am a huge fan of Paula Deen's. I am not sure why, exactly, as I think I have made one (maybe two) of her recipes. I think it has to do with the small amounts of butter she uses in them, not near enough (haha!). I watch her shows, about once a day. If not more. Paula's Party is a riot, but I still like Paula's Home Cooking (both on Food Network) the best. (Poor Emi is going to grow up learning to count and her colors from the likes of Paula, Emeril and Alton Brown instead of Ernie, Big Bird and Snuffy! P.S. I have a not-so secret crush on Alton Brown!)

I'd love to sit down and chat with her. I read her book It Ain't All About the Cookin' in one sitting! She is close to her boys, she has a good man in her life and has a seriously great career. Sure, she made some bad choices along the way and some good, they made her who she is today. We can all say the same. Someday, somehow, I want to meet her. I have added it to my "life list".

Does anyone else do this? I have a running list of things I want to do, places I want to see, experiences I want to have. The longer I live and the more I see, makes me want to see more and more. Jeff and Drew planned a trip to the Grand Canyon back in the summer of 2006. I went along, not because I had any driving desire AT ALL to see it. I went because I wanted to go with them, to do a family thing. We hadn't been able to do anything like that since Jeff and I moved to Japan so I thought it was important. It changed my life. Seriously. Now, I want to see *everything*! I never wanted to see Yellowstone, it's on my list. Mt. Rushmore? Same thing. The Redwoods in California, and the list goes on. There are also places all over the world I want to see now. All because of the Grand Canyon.

Funny how one, seemingly small decision, can change a life.

Paula, if you are out there ... we are staying at the Holiday Inn Yangzi in Chongqing and the White Swan in Guangzhou. Let me know if you and Michael would like me to get you a room.

2 comments:

Pea Pod Mommy said...

Huge Paula fan! I have tried many of her recipes. For me, she reminds me of home ... the accent is home, her home is home, the laughter is home. She gives me what I need from the south to make it up here in the north (midwest north that is).

Laurelle said...

Hi! Just a fellow CAWLI family, excited, like you, about travel this week. Keep those Paul Dean dreams' a coming ... at least it means you're relaxed enough to sleep. Safe travels and see you in Beihing. -- Laurelle and Dave (parents of beautiful Mister Darcy)