Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Beach Adventure

This week, Emi and I snuck off for a quickie beach adventure. She has been telling me since the cruise (which yes, I still need to really blog about) that she "looooobs sand, mama". So, thinking the crowds would be gone and the water too cold for her to demand that I put on a bathing suit (shudder) and get into the ocean (bigger shudder), I pulled together a quick couple of days.

Silly me. The ocean would be too cold?

The good news, I only got wet up to my calves wading in now and then to join my girl. The better news - she had the TIME of her life. Worth everything to see that smile. Sadly, none of you will see that smile because she was playing SO hard and fast I could not keep up with her with the camera. But, at least I did get the camera out, and use it!

We ended up at beautiful Hunting Beach Island State Park. Lovely setting, just enough people (so they could ooh and awe at my girl), perfect weather.

Thinking we were just going to dig in the sand, I put Emi into a t-shirt and shorts. That lasted oh, about 13 seconds:



So, we trekked back to the car to get her suit. I told her she could sit in the shallow area and walk out to the little sand bar (a few feet). The rule was, if I called her name she had to stop, look and come back. And really, for the most part she did. Amazing, considering the pull of sand and water.




It seems we are raising a water girl. While she loved (beyond measure) splashing and dancing in the surf, digging and playing in the sand ... she also spent time just watching the water. She loved watching the gulls soar and dive for fish, laughed in delight at the seagulls and sand pipers when they were brave enough to get close to her. But really what entranced her, the waves. She just couldn't get enough of the waves.


Yes, I know there are a lot of pictures. I just couldn't pick a few. While I am not a great photographer, I just can't get enough pictures of our sweet girl. I did finally find my favorite. Okay, so there's more than one favorite!


Oh, and I lied. I did manage to get a few of those radiant smiles with the camera. While there aren't many smiles that made it to the camera, the day was filled with them.


As Emi grows, other trips will probably stick in her mind more. She may not remember this trip all. But that's okay, it is one that will always be held close to my heart. It wasn't the biggest or most elaborate of trips. Just a few days, doing nothing at all. Watching my girl run around having a blast.

Does it get any better than that? Not for me.

5 comments:

Magi said...

Wonderful photos! I don't blame you for putting more than a few up. I'm also a little jealous that you got to get away to the beach for a few days.

Aunt LoLo said...

Oh, I'm such a water girl, too!!! I'm not much for actually swimming and splashing...but give me a body of water to stare at, and I'll be there forever!

Sam said...

Wonderful pictures...really cute and sweet.....I am gonna follow you for this

Louanne said...

I love it!

What I Did Today said...

These pictures are awesome! It's hard to miss with such beautiful surroundings and such an adorable subject!