Monday, June 14, 2010

The Time Has Come

No, not to close down the blog. Although, as often as I do, one would think. But no, this is my spot to record (as often as I can these days) Emi's life. I am hoping it will help me remember all the 'little' things in her life so that if I can ever get off my duff and make her a scrapbook, all the details (or at least some of them) will be written down somewhere. 'Cause we all know my memory chips aren't what they used to be.

So, this weekend. We had a whole slew of things we wanted to get done. We got some knocked out on Saturday. Not as much as we had wanted, but some. Had a long list for Sunday, but that's okay. However, we forgot to check in with Emi (always a mistake). She rearranged our priorities. As usual.

I went to bed before Jeff, he followed about an hour later. We have a monitor to help Jeff hear Emi if she cries/calls out (IF??) in the night. I can't hear anything on it, as it's too far for me. {When he's gone we move it to my bedside table and turn it up full blast - then I can hear. But when he's home the static, etc. keeps him from sleeping, so he's on Emi duty for night time. Not a bad deal, for me. :) }

He checked on her before coming to bed, went to brush teeth and ... she must have called out. Needless to say, I never heard her and with the door closed, neither did he. All of a sudden I wake to her crying hysterically ... walking through our bedroom door! Now, some may wonder why that's a problem. Here's why:


Yes, the poor child, still in her crib. But she's never shown any interest in climbing out. We think moving and being without her crib for 2-3 months and then having it show up in her new house just thrilled her. She was SO excited to see it, so set it up we did (hey, we are no fools ... containment is a good thing!). This great and wonderful thing came to a screeching halt Saturday night.

To finish the story, we have no idea what happened. She couldn't tell us, still can't. When I asked her to try and crawl out of her crib the next day (I was standing right there), she couldn't. We are just thankful she didn't get hurt. Scared me to my bones! She's not a tall gal, the bed is pretty far off the ground.

So, Daddy (with "help" from Emi) took the foot board off the crib and turned it into a day bed. For now, it's what we are going to use. Seems silly to buy a toddler bed when we have this (although, the temptation - oh my!). When she's ready we will probably go with a twin but this should last her a good long while.

And now, the unveiling:



12 comments:

FinsUp said...

Way to go, Emi! I love your new bed.

Mommy, I'm Home said...

Oh, congrats to Emi!

Wendy said...

Congratulations Emi! Cat loves her big girl bed!

Debbie and Sam said...

Containment can NEVER be overrated!!! Congrats on the milestone!

a Tonggu Momma said...

So exciting! Congrats to Emi on another huge milestone!

Brandi said...

Glad she wasn't hurt! We changed Kalia's bed to a daybed quite some time ago, as she never seemed comfortable in her crib (reminded her of her orphanage days??? I don't know...she just never would sleep in it). Haven't had any trouble since converting it, and she still doesn't climb out very often. Hope Emi's liking her new bed!

Magi said...

You know we took forever to take down the crib, too. It was so convenient, but switching to a bed has it's pluses, too.

Congratulations on the big milestone!

AlliE said...

it was so hard to move from the crib to a bed, but it's super nice too.

However, we found that keeping the kids in their rooms is now very tough. VERY TOUGH.

My daughter used to come out of her room about 2 minutes after I left it, saying "Mommy! I woke up!" "No Sweety! you didn't sleep!"
that was the biggest challenge to the bed...

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Yeah for the big girl bed :)

Aunt LoLo said...

Oh, the new big girl set up is so sweet!!

Ming Wai went right from crib to Twin Mattress and Box Spring On The Ground. There was a little brother on the way that needed that crib more than she did! LOL (We put the box spring on the ground so that when she fell out of bed - because she did a few times - it was only about 18" to fall.)

Barbara said...

*sniff* She's getting soooooo big!

Briana's Mom said...

Awww, she is growing up! Love the new bed!

We didn't give Bri a big girl bed until she turned three. She was so happy in her crib and never tried to get out. I didn't want to mess with a good thing until I had to! :)