Thursday, July 23, 2009

Goodbye, Hello

The time has, finally, come that I feel safe in sharing our news. I've alluded to this a couple of times when I thought the time was quite near, not meaning to dangle. I've had emails and comments asking (1) if I am pregnant (it would seriously take an act of God), (2) are we adopting again (nope, Emi was our first and last, and really ... how could perfection be duplicated -- no pressure Emi, lol!), and (3) well, there is no three - those were the guesses.

What actually is happening is that we are moving. To South Carolina (anyone out there in Aiken, SC or Augusta, GA area? if so, drop me a line?!).

We have lived here two years and while we love it, we've come to realize that this is the wrong side of the States for us. Everyone we love is on the other side. Just to visit a grandparent takes at least a day of flying, and visiting friends is an annual thing, at best. We decided last summer that we needed to make a move. Jeff sent off applications and in February he was offered a job. And then, things started to drag out. I won't bore with the back and forth, but last week he finally got the official paperwork he had been waiting on. We can list the house (yikes, oh joy) and start the process of moving.

Jeff is still with the federal government, so while it's a job change, to them it's not. The really nice thing about this is that they move you (oh yeah, baby!). There is absolutely no way we would have moved so often if we had had to pack and move ourselves. The packers are due the week of September 7th, and we will be hitting the road on September 13th.

Hitting the road? Why yes, we were told that we were going to be driving. From Washington to South Carolina.

Yep, you read that right ... driving. Jeff, me, Emi (who will be 31 months) and Max (14 years and six pounds of car-hating Yorkie) in a really small car. Yeah, trip of a lifetime. Funny enough, I am looking forward to the drive. I think it will be fun, as long as we keep a sense of humor and realize that there will be good days and not-so-good days. We have a plan in place, but also know that we will have to punt from time to time. Emi and Max both can only take so long in a car. That is actually a good thing, as it will force Jeff and I to get out and walk around every couple of hours - something we are not good about doing for ourselves.

More details as we have them, just wanted to share our exciting news with everyone!

15 comments:

Why Do We Even Have That Lever? said...

Well, congratulations!

I find moving exciting, though I realize most people don't. I too take long road trips with small children, so I know the score. You sound like you'll make the drive lots of fun. We'll be on the road at almost the same time! I am going to Alberta, Canada.

hey, maybe we can both make some posts about things to do in the car to amuse small children and swap ideas! I've found a few already.

My kids will be four and 21 months when we spend 8 days in a car travelling Western Canada.

Congrats again! Happy House Hunting!

Aunt LoLo said...

CONGRATS. I cannot overstate how important it is to live close to grandparents! I live across the country from ALL of ours...and it bites. I spent a good 15 minutes the other day, talking with my visiting MIL...and she is dead serious when she says that when we get to go back to the West Coast...she's following us. She's currently in Utah, but grandkids are more important than the house they've lived in for more than 15 years.;-)

Kim said...

Although I rant about the South a lot, this is actually a very nice area. Yes, there are a lot of small-minded people, but I guess you're bound to get that anywhere. Be prepared-- it's HOT down here!

a Tonggu Momma said...

Congrats on the impending move!!!! I lived in SC for several years (near Savannah, GA) and loved it. Being close to family definitely has its perks.

Gina (Caleeo) said...

I am so glad that things have finally come together enough that you can talk publicly about it.

If you want to add that extra 150 or whatever miles (LOL) you have a place to stay, a fabulous meal, a soak in the hot tub and a two year old to entertain your two year old. I am also willing to throw in fresh flowers, a photo session, homemade cookies, and a bag of snacks for the road if that helps. :)

Hugs! Your friend, Gina

Cristina said...

Great news Kiy!!! I am so happy for you that you are moving closer to your family. REALLY hope the road trip isn't too horrid xx

Carla said...

We did the across the states drive twice while moving, once OUT to where we were moving and once back home. ;) Both times with a cat who got car sick, the 2nd time with a 4 month old....oh the JOYS.

I know a few people in S.C. and we go through there every so often. ;)

Not sure if you are coming through my area, but you are sure to come somewhat close. :) Let me know!

~3 Sides of Crazy~ said...

Congratulations on finally knowing the details. Now you can feel settled.

The drive will certainly be an adventure you won't forget. When we came this way I drove my truck with 2 70 pound dogs in the back seat and 2 carry traveled cats in the front with hubby and BIL in the truck behind towing the 2nd vehicle for 2500 miles so I offer you empathy and prayer for patience as I know what you are about to do! LOL

Seriously, I will keep you all in my prayers for a smooth move and transition!

Debbie and Sam said...

Congratulations! Welcome to our side of the US!!

Lythrum said...

I sooooo can't wait for you to get there. It'll be awesome to finally meet after knowing each other all this time. ;)

Nightingale said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Monique said...

Congratulations on your move.

I wanted to pop in to tell you that Barbara has passed Monday Musings to me. I hope you'll come by Escape Hatch from time to time and participate.

Take Care

Maddys Mom said...

Congrats! I know that you will be happy to be closer to family.

I am w/you on the car trip thing, I love car trips too!

I hope everything goes well & that you guys are able to sell your house quickly.

Controlling My Chaos said...

Congrats on your very exciting news, Kiy. :)

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Wow - moving is never easy. Good luck.