Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Our 44th President

This will be quick, Emi is watching one of her shows (24 minutes!), but I wanted to post this while everything was still fresh in my mind. Mainly the reason is, someday I hope Emi is able to look back at this blog and read this.

I made a point of turning on the television at 0830 PST this morning. I knew the oath was scheduled for 12:00 EST so wanted to see a bit of the pomp and excitement. I made sure Emi had had breakfast and was there to see it. Not that I expected her to actually watch it, just wanted it to be on and available. Interestingly enough, she watched quite a bit of it.

I have to say, I was moved. More than I expected to be. I haven't mentioned politics or the race for President much on this blog. I did this intentionally as I feel my views vary from many of my friends and most likely much of my family. But I will say this, I am proud of who I voted for, and was proud to see him take his oath.

This is a special day. Not just because we have a new president, but because we as Americans made a choice. We were able to safely make that choice and see it through. I can't even begin to explain all the emotions that ran through me today as I sat watching all that went on today.

So much of what Mr. Obama said today really hit me. But one thing, that I am sure we will hear in sound bites forever, hit me hard. Sixty years ago Mr. Obama's father would not have been served in a local restaurant. Imagine, how far we've come, in just sixty year. I have to stop and wonder, how far will we come in the next? Is it possible, should my daughter choose to, for her to actually run for president? A little girl not born in America, but is an American? Who will grow up loving two countries, who will have everything at her fingertips as an American except ONE THING. Just imagine. Just hope.

Even twenty years ago, did anyone really believe we'd be here today? I don't think so. But we are. And with Mr. Obama making history, he has opened doors to many. But really, while he had the guts and vision to run for president, it took a nation to elect him. It still amazes me that this happened. And makes me proud, prouder than I have been in a long time, to be an American.

And with this, my political posting is over. But I don't really look at this as a political post. It's one of hopes, of dreams, of change. I am looking forward to watching the next few years unfold.

6 comments:

amy said...

I love your writing..Makes me smile

Esther's mom said...

I'm so happy. It was an historic and wonderful day.

Gina (Caleeo) said...

Absolutely! I was unable to watch, but I read the speech on line and was moved to tears. I too am very proud on this historic, remarkable day.

Meredith Teagarden said...

it was lovely to see his joy today, and that of my fellow Americans, though he was not who I voted for.

Grand-Bag said...

I remember the picket line at Woolworths in Michigan. I was about 10yrs old and I couldn't believe that someone wouldn't be able to walk up to the lunch counter and get something to eat or ice cream, etc. Our world has changed for the better!!!

Lythrum said...

Although I didn't vote for Pres. Obama I too appreciate the historic impact of his election. And to mark again the occasion of a peacable exchange of power. :)