Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Napping. Or Not.

As I sit here, in the bedroom-turned-office that sits next to Emi's room, I listen to her over the monitor. Not napping. Like she is supposed to be doing. But having the time of her life.

Uh-oh was Emi's first real word, a full word rather than og (dog) or dooo (also dog) and many other almost words. Uh-oh, however, these days is her most favorite. And still gets a chuckle out of Jeff and I. Uh-oh can cover so many things, you see. The toys knocked over accidentally (much better than the screams of frustration we used to get), the peas accidentally dropped on the floor at dinner (Max would rather it was steak) and now, the blankets, pillows and toys tossed out of her crib. I walked in there moments ago as the noises were worth investigating (she has once already dragged the rocking chair over to the bed and used it to ESCAPE). Yikes. The chair has been moved. No more escapes. Yet. Well, I found what I expected. The blankets and pillow on the floor, the animals and dolls on the chair and Emi half over the rail trying to reach the chair.

She looked up from her precarious perch and said ... UH-OH! Yeah, ya think? Back in bed, with all her stuff. Time for nap, mama says. And I leave the room. Holding back the tears of laughter! Oh that gal, she can push my buttons and at the same time make me want to scoop her up and laugh. I know I should be more upset about these things but really, she's learning. She's experimenting. And I will always be so grateful to whoever it was that decided she would be ours. So that we would be the ones to watch her grow and experiment.

The gray hairs, however, I could really do without.

7 comments:

Gina (Caleeo) said...

:) When does gravity testing end??? It is still live and well here. I am with you though, I know I should get a bit more concerned, but it is just so darn cute that I just smile and enjoy.

Lythrum said...

We had to move ours to a toddler bed already because she is so strong from pulling herself up that she could get a leg up over the rail. She can do the same with a playpen, getting up on the couch and the babygate. There is no peace at our house. :)

Controlling My Chaos said...

Just don't start yanking those gray hairs out. You'll be bald before you know it. I speak from experience.

Louanne said...

I love that story!!

Barbara said...

Oh how precious! I can just image the expression on her face... Uh oh... Sounds like she'll be in a "big girl bed" before long :)

Meredith Teagarden said...

isn't it stunning that she is yours:)! I still want to pinch myself with joy about my Jane!

a Tonggu Momma said...

I saw you won the Rocks In My Dryer give-away! Congratulations!!!!

And don't worry... I'm sure your happy smile completely distracts from any and all gray hairs.